Friday, October 23, 2009

Out with First Year Students....

Transition is one of the most challenging things that every morning as the sun rises, constantly faces everyone or is it one faces. One grows a day older every morning. However handling this challenge isn’t easy. And one of the not so easy transitions to handle is entry into institutions of higher learning.




I love working with students. And so two days ago, we went out for a retreat with first year students-freshmen they are called elsewhere. It was exciting to be in the nature and to as well play those games that we indeed played in the days of old as we grew up. It was just beyond imagination to see more than 700 students from more than 12 institutions around Nairobi gathered in the name of the Lord.




In the afternoon, the students split up into several smaller groups. We had animated discussions in our group, and I remember the students protesting that the time given for the discussions was too short. As the discussions unfolded, I could see so many questions in the faces of the students, and it seemed that whatever they were asking was just but a bit of what was going on in their minds-kind of scratching the surface. And this reminded me of my experience in first year, not so long ago. And I knew that as a student worker, all that was required of me is to indeed give the responses that I could on this day-but then be committed to walk along side these students as they begin their studies at campus and college. And as we prayed at the end of the day, one thing was very clear, that they would make it just the way I had…

No comments: