Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Just How Public?

Nearly a month ago I was privileged to attend Staff Orientation and Training at FOCUS Kenya. One of the speakers doing a devotional on embracing Godly leadership said something that is still ringing in my head, “our lives as leaders should be such that it can be toured by any one at any time without shame”.


A week later, I went with a friend to one of the popular tourist destinations in Kenya; Maasai Mara. This place is popular for its biodiversity and richness in fauna and flora. Our driver was good and not so good. Good that he ensured that we see the animals and birds, because that was all we had gone to see-and enjoy the creation of God. Not so good because he was flouting most of the basic guidelines that I knew of when it comes to driving within Game parks and Reserves. Moving too close to the animals and all that kind of stuff.


But then while we were there, I just remembered the teachings; having a life such that it can be toured any time by any one. We managed to see quite a lot of the big five except the rhino. What came to mind was that all that these animals know is being gazed at, nearly every hour of daylight. 12 hours a day, they are there to be looked at, to be seen, to be photographed. Actually, the driver told us that the animals had learnt how to pose for photos…may be. Just may be. But then me as an individual, how open is my life to be toured by anyone at any time? Can I manage an hour per day of my life being toured by anyone at their pleasure? Quite a big question…….


And this is my desire for my lifetime-living a life such that it can be toured by anyone at any time without shame. The challenge is that it just doesn’t happen. It takes time and discipline, and help from God. So help me God……..

No comments: